New Decade, New You
By Cecelia Bocker
Not only does this month mark a new year, but it kicks off a whole new decade. How much more motivation could you possibly need to leave the past behind and make some changes in your personal or professional life?
We’ve compiled a list of 7 resolutions to help you set yourself up for success not just in this year, but through the entire decade!
1. Commit to a regular workout plan! – We know it’s the typical “New Year’s resolution”, but exercising truly does have amazing benefits. You don’t need to follow a bodybuilder workout plan 6 days a week. Set a fitness goal that works for you and your schedule. Start small, try doing something during your lunch break or on the weekend mornings. Slowly increase the frequency as time goes on. Not only will you be getting a jumpstart on your “summer body”, you’ll be boosting your natural endorphins which in turn boost your mood during the gloomy winter weather. The hardest step is deciding to start a fitness journey.
2. Set up a realistic financial savings plan! – The holiday season is over, that means there’s no more worrying about buying gifts or food or extra travelling. Use this month to really sit down and look at your finances. Figure out what your spending budget is AFTER you put money into your savings. Try to put a little bit of money away at the end of each week (even if you only put $10 away each time you’ll have $520 by the end of the year)! Pro Tip: open a savings account that is in a different bank than your checking account so you can’t easily transfer money out of your savings.
3. Do one thing every week to benefit your mental health! – Find one thing that you do just for you. It could be reading, taking a bubble bath, playing a sport, drawing, cooking, anything! We are at a point in time where mental health and mental illnesses are constantly being discussed. Take the time to find something that genuinely makes YOU happy and allows you to unplug from work, the media and general stresses of life.
4. Stop thinking about your dream…go after it! – There’s something you’ve been thinking about for a long time. Maybe it’s a hobby you’re interested in picking up? Perhaps you’re considering switching to a completely different industry? Have you been thinking about going back to school? Whatever that thought is in the back of your mind, stop putting it off and do it!
5. Learn one new skill by the end of the year! – We’ve said it once and we’ll say it again… adding new skills to your resume is ALWAYS a great idea. In one year, you could master another language, learn coding, or take classes to spruce up skills you already have. It’s never a bad time to invest in yourself and your future, look into which skills are highly valued in your field and see which ones you’re interested in and go from there. We promise you won’t regret it.
6. Clean out your closet! – It’s good to purge yourself of things you don’t need anymore, but we mean this in more than one way. While it is a good idea to go through your wardrobe and donate or throw away things that you don’t want anymore, we’re talking about mentally cleaning out your closet. With all of the things we have to keep track of and stress over in life, your mind can get just as cluttered as your closet and dresser. If there’s something on your mind that has been clouding your judgment, decide to either address the problem and find a solution or choose to let it go and move on with a clear, positive outlook. Whichever course of action you choose, it will be better to no longer have the issue hanging over your head.
7. Break at least one unhealthy habit each year! – Unhealthy habits don’t only include drinking, smoking or gambling. Other common ones include biting your nails, not drinking enough water, going to bed late, overeating and constantly checking social media. Choose one thing that you would like to change about your daily or weekly routine and start there. It takes about 21 days to break a habit, you can do it! Take it one day at a time and you’ll succeed.
Which of these resolutions are you excited for? Do you think we forgot an important one? Let us know how you plan to succeed and grow over the next few years. We love success stories!
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!
Access Staffing - a hire level of service