Beating March Madness - Some tips to help you stay motivated during this monotonous month!
By: Cecelia Bocker
Let’s talk about March Madness! No, we don’t mean how your NCAA bracket is going to do this season. We’re referring to the everyday humdrum of March itself becoming maddening. These thirty-one days seem to drag on and on; there are no holidays or scheduled days off to look forward to, we’re still experiencing some winter weather and this is the time most people begin to lose sight of the goals they set back in January. However, we’ve put together a list of ideas to keep you on track and help you get through this month!
Revisit those New Year’s resolutions –This is the point in the year that can make you or break you. It would be easy to give up on something after a few months, especially if things haven’t gone according to plan, but if you continue working towards your goal through this month, you will have gotten through a quarter of the year and it will only get easier. Keep going, we promise it will be worth it!
- Try something new and exciting - Whether you sign up for a new gym class you’re interested in, or begin learning a new skill, do something this month that you look forward to. Having something enjoyable at the beginning or end of each day will help this month go by much faster.
- Revamp your resume – Chances are you might not have updated your resume since the last time you were on the hunt for a new job. Updating your resume ensures that all of your most recent accomplishments are on there. This can also help boost confidence in yourself by showing you how far you’ve come in your career.
- Stop putting off projects – Everyone has at least one task that they continue to push off into the future. Tackle that burden this month! Whether it’s a home improvement project, a skill you want to learn, or something just for yourself, we guarantee you’ll feel proud and accomplished once it’s complete.
- Change your password –Choose a device or account that you frequently log into and change your password to something positive or motivational. Using words such as “Relax”, “Inspire”, “Smile” and “Success” will help you with whatever tasks and goals you’re in the process of accomplishing.
- Follow new accounts – With social media playing an integral role in everyone’s lives, it’s easy to get caught up in comparing your life to what you see online. Be sure to follow pages and accounts that make you smile and laugh. While many people focus on eating well and working out, it’s important to remember that mental health and happiness is just as vital as a healthy body.
- Get involved – Whether you attend a networking event, volunteer at an animal shelter, or run a marathon, do something that forces you to step out of your every day activities. Having something different to do will help break up the final days and weeks of winter.
- Reward yourself – It’s common to berate yourself when you skip the gym, spend unnecessary money or eat unhealthily, but why not reward yourself when you do something good? Set a goal for yourself, but also set a reward for when you accomplish it. For example, if you go to the gym 5 days in a row treat yourself to a massage, or if you eat healthy all week let yourself have that bacon cheeseburger over the weekend.
- Read before bed – Many successful people are known to be avid readers. Studies show reading before bed helps to improve brain productivity. Reading at night also helps increase creativity and expand vocabulary. Watching TV, staring at a computer or scrolling on your phone before bed, actually inhibits our brain’s production of melatonin (the hormone that helps us get a good night’s sleep). This means reading before bed not only helps your brain function at work the next day, but you’ll wake up more refreshed and prepared for the day ahead.
- Write down your tasks for the next day –Doing this for both your professional and personal life will help you stay on top of your duties and goals for the day, as well as help you feel accomplished as you cross things off of your to-do list.
We hope these tips help you stay motivated and successful throughout this next month, as well as the rest of the year.